Sometimes, even if we worked hard to design our home to fit our preferences and taste, we can still get tired of its look and consider home remodeling. Also, we can get tempted by current trends especially since there are so many beautiful home designs you can see in magazines and online. More importantly, if a house gets old, it can suffer from natural wear and tear. So a homeowner has no choice but to get it remodeled. There are also homeowners with different needs from the time they first built their home. For instance, remodeling might be needed when you want to add a bedroom or increase the living space by building an extension.
Truth be told, home remodeling ain’t cheap. It costs quite a bit of money, sometimes as much as how much you initially sent to buy your home! It all depends on the type of remodeling or renovation you’re planning to do. That’s why many American homeowners would rather settle for what they currently have so they won’t have to spend money anymore to remodel.
If remodeling is necessary right now but you’re on a tight budget, here are tips that might help you out.
Leave Plumbing and Wiring in Place – these are usually the most costly things to rearrange or move when remodeling a home. If there’s no problem with the plumbing and electrical systems, just leave them as-is.
DIY What You Can – the internet is a goldmine of so many DIY guides. Some people, even those without a carpentry background, successfully built DIY furniture, replaced flooring, repainted their homes, and so on.
Call Professionals When Needed – of course, there are things you’d rather not DIY such as when you need to break walls and build new ones. Call professionals who are experienced in home remodeling instead.
Kitchen remodeling is certainly fun and exciting for many homeowners especially if the sky is the limit when it comes to your budget. However, for most people, this is not the case. A lot of people require remodeling the kitchen not only for aesthetic purposes but because their kitchen really needs to be repaired or improved. This is very common during custom home building or custom home repairs. When this is the case, then it would be great to know more about money saving methods when remodeling the kitchen of your home.
first tip to keep in mind is for you to set your budget first. Many times, we’ve
seen homeowners spending more money than they intended to because they didn’t
set or identify their budget in the beginning. They ended up planning, buying,
building too much – way beyond what they can afford. So if you are trying to
save money, then identify what you are willing to spend for first.
important tip would be to keep all the plumbing in place. It doesn’t matter if
you want to replace the kitchen sink, but it would be ideal to leave it where
it is currently located. The same goes for electrical and gas system. If there’s
no need to move the gas range or electric stove and oven, then leave it in its
If you have
a small kitchen such as the one above, you can take some inspiration from magazines
or websites that offer kitchen designs. You can also check the above video for some
inspiration remodeling your kitchen. Although it is such a small space, it
still came out very beautiful.
Among the home renovation mistakes to avoid is putting the matter into your own hands or hiring a non-professional. Contrary to popular belief, hiring a home builder or a renovation contractor can actually save you more money than if you make your kitchen remodeling a DIY project – unless you have all the necessary tools, equipment, and the right knowledge to get the job done. This is because your home builder can get the job done quicker and they can also recommend what can be done in your kitchen according to your budget.
You probably have all set it right to start renovating your home. But, before you start on the big project, let us learn some home renovation mistakes to avoid. Just like you, some enthusiast homeowners wanted to upgrade their homes without knowing that one mistake can lead to delayed projects and add to the expenses. Go through some of the mistakes that they have made and try to avoid them with your dream house project.
1. Starting too Early: Setting the budget and hiring the contractor is not the only thing you want to take care of when renovating your house. You will also have to find space to keep laundry, groceries, and places where your family will rest when the entire renovation work takes place at home. Don’t start the project unless you have figured out everything.
2. Underestimate Cost: Some jobs may cost you more then what you think. It is always better to set 20% extra in the budget to cover the unforeseen cost. For instance, your contractor may ask you to get an advanced tool that might be more expensive.
3. Be Ready for Unexpected: Sometimes, the plan may not work as you might have thought. A building may need more repair as it may look from the outside. Once the project starts, the builder may come across damages that may extend the project.
4. Hire Designer Later: If you think you can have the house repaired and then ask the designer to renovate it, you are probably adding to your bills. The designer will not be able to give his best if you don’t involve him at the start of the project.
5. Hiring Non-Experienced Professional: So you have decided to hire a home building professional. That is a good thing. But, if he is not experienced, he won’t do any justice to the project. It would be best if you had an experienced professional.
You can have the renovation project completed on time if you consider the unforeseen elements and hire the right contractors at the beginning of the project.